Felsenmusick - The Weblog of Daniel Felsenfeld
The Web Log of a Certain Daniel Felsenfeld: Composer, critic, avid reader, aspiring
bon vivant, capricorn, shadowy figure, advice for the lovelorn

Monday, September 04, 2006

I Cannot Agree More...

Kyle Gann heartily endorses the rarest of books on the scrupulously over-documented Stravinsky, The Appolonian Clockwork, which is being re-issued by Amsterdam University Press this month. As is often the case, I cannot agree more with his assesment: this is an important book, one I devoured several times as a grad student, one whose scope and quirk and blurred edges became an inspiration to me as a way a composer could write effectively about music (to the chagrin of future editors no doubt). There are a lot of spectacular books on music, but this one--along with (and again I agree with Kyle) much Rosen, and I'd throw in a few others--is as brave as it is wise, as funny as it is profound. And, as an added bonus, if you like the music of Andriessen, it gives you insight into his special musical soul.

So click here and buy it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home