Felsenmusick - The Weblog of Daniel Felsenfeld
The Web Log of a Certain Daniel Felsenfeld: Composer, critic, avid reader, aspiring
bon vivant, capricorn, shadowy figure, advice for the lovelorn

Friday, September 01, 2006

Impressive--and Score One For the Bloggers!

This fascinating articlein the Times is all about Pandora.com, a music "DNA" site--they call it a "genome project"-- which functions a lot like the "...those who bought this also bought..." function on amazon.com. Plug in your favorite song, and it will tell you others you might dig based on certain characteristics: is the guitar distorted? Is there a string section? etc. This, to me, is internet use at its highest--and it's making music giants nervous because, after wireless internet hits the street and the cars, no longer will people be told what to listen to. It does violence to radio payola, the idea of a swayable critic (as opposed to a passionate voulenteer) and the power of shock and awe advertising to sell a record. I for one approve, but it's not going to be an easy switch as the big corporations will have to turn up the volume on their promotions and their sexy visuals alike to even make a dent of an impact. We can look forward to a nude Jessica Simpson slathering down a can of Pepsi.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooklyn Kitchen said...

Yeah, I've been playing around with Pandora for about 6 or 7 months now. I enjoy the way I shows me new music everytime I listen to one of the more strangely programed radio stations I created. I have had especially good luck with Ornette Coleman Radio which has exposed me to a lot of contemporary improvised music. Cool stuf!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home