Felsenmusick - The Weblog of Daniel Felsenfeld
The Web Log of a Certain Daniel Felsenfeld: Composer, critic, avid reader, aspiring
bon vivant, capricorn, shadowy figure, advice for the lovelorn

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Overheard at Barnes & Noble, Union Square, Superbowl Sunday

For my centenial post--this marks number 100--I wish to pass on the quote I overheard while trying to get some help from a W'burg looking hipster type loafworking on the third floor, only feet from the books I wrote. His friend was trying to persuade this Tim-Burton-fanboy looking character to go to the opera. His response (cue timpani): "Opera, FUCK opera! Did you know opera is the Vietnam of Music?!"

Anyone wishing to translate this, please feel free to email. It has been puzzling me all afternoon.

Thanks to all who read: here's to the next 100 posts!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me! I don't have any clue what I meant by such a comment. I think I meant to say that Opera is the Rob Schneider of music, or that Opera resembled a hedgehog, or that it tasted like chicken. Then again, maybe I meant that Opera smelled like teen spirit, or that it made me think of empty wine bottles. Who knows what I meant. I think I was stoned.

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mouth open, brow furrowed. I've got *nothing* on this one. (Sarah B)

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

America is not fighting to win an opera. We are fighting to give an application to an old Greek proverb, which is that the purpose of opera is not to annihilate an enemy but to get him to mend his ways. And we are confident we can get the enemy to mend his. - Arthur J. Goldberg

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home