Felsenmusick - The Weblog of Daniel Felsenfeld
The Web Log of a Certain Daniel Felsenfeld: Composer, critic, avid reader, aspiring
bon vivant, capricorn, shadowy figure, advice for the lovelorn

Friday, May 30, 2008

An Inconvenient Technique

Alright, I do not know a note of the composer who has been commissioned to make Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth into an opera, but I can only object, sight unseen. The film is there to send an important message, while an opera, I fear, lacks such power, especially in light of the film's success. I wonder what new dimension this will add?

But I of course could be wrong. After all, there have been several operas in recent memory whose ideas I thought would make for bad sung theatre (including Nixon in China and Little Women) and I've been proven wrong. But this commission, while I applaud its progressive nature, seems to make little sense to me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to spot the first review that calls it "chilling."

2:15 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Start writing this review now!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home