Felsenmusick - The Weblog of Daniel Felsenfeld
The Web Log of a Certain Daniel Felsenfeld: Composer, critic, avid reader, aspiring
bon vivant, capricorn, shadowy figure, advice for the lovelorn

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Classical Music Blogs, To Be or Not to Be

At the exact moment when I was pondering the whole notion of blogging--I wonder, I thought to myself (in my most po-faced and baleful mode), is this worth it, is anyone actually reading anything here (aside from Alex)--lo a self-Googling (1) reveals something fascinating: I am listed in the Wikipedia entry under "Classical Music Blogs." An honor to be listed with such luminaries as Noise, the Concert, Post-Classical, ThinkDenk, etc. So this was what I needed, the spur to keep going. After all, according to Anne Midgette (herself blogless...for the moment), apparently people read them. (2)

I'll spare you my comments on yesterday's primary to say that I deftly avoided watching returns with my usual fanatical obsession by attending a quite-good concert by the Oratorio Society of New York. The evening's fare: two pieces by Faure, plus Paul Moravec's haunting and deftly made Songs of Love and War.

Mostly, I am excited to see two pieces which are favorites of mine only in the abstract (never have I seen them live). Michael Nyman's chamber opera The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat and the collaboration between Tom Stoppard (an absolute hero) and Andre Previn Every Good Boy Does Fine, both part of the InCite Arts Festival rolling into town from Boston next week.

But other than that, my news on the personal front is that I've finally finished a huge piece I wrote in collaboration with the great string arranger Larry Gold (who doubles as my father-in-law), a Soul Symphony. More details on this to come soon, no doubt.

Nice to be back, to be appropriately Wiki-d, and to once again loll about in the soft courage of my bloggish convictions. Or, as they say in the film Juno, "honest to blog."

--

1. Admit it, you all do this, late at night, when you can't sleep.
2. Handily, I am also mentioned in the entry for poet Ernest Hilbert, who is a friend and once-and-future collaborator, and quoted in two other entries: an entry on Barber's Knoxville (which makes sense as I wrote about this piece in my book, and, oddly enough, an essay on the movie Closer, the author of which somehow managed to track down an article I wrote about Cosi for the New York City Opera.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooklyn Kitchen said...

D-

Here's an HTML tutorial that you can use to superscript your footnote numbers. Just go into blogger, switch your post view to HTML and wrap the code you'll find at this URL:

http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/htmlsuperscript.php

Fun with HTML.

-J

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's neat that you ended up finding out that google does show your blog. Your blog popped up for me when I just did a music blog search on google. You were the second blog listed. So now I think you should make a playlist on mixlister, since we don't have any classical playlists yet, you can take care of that problem. Or post another mix of music you love, either way. People do read they just aren't the best at leaving comments...

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home