Felsenmusick - The Weblog of Daniel Felsenfeld
The Web Log of a Certain Daniel Felsenfeld: Composer, critic, avid reader, aspiring
bon vivant, capricorn, shadowy figure, advice for the lovelorn

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Do Composers and Bloggers Sleep?


Can anyone else out there not sleep at all? I've had this condition--chronic, relentless insomnia (which means not an inability to fall asleep but to stay asleep)--since I was born, apparently. Its actually one of the reasons for the advent of Felsenmusick: another cast member in the ever-evolving insomnia theater, which also contains political talking points sites, amazon.com (one click is killing me), The Simpsons on DVD, the radio noir of Joe Frank (if you don't know him, you should) Dostoyevsky and --none of which is conducive to a more relaxed state of mind. Now I blog. Sometimes. I just assumed, from when I was a kid, that nobody slept well, but as I've grown I have found that most people sleep just fine, a few off nights aside, and require six or seven uninterrupted hours a night to be themselves.

I used to adore my sleeplessness in college: it meant I could work harder than just about everyone else while still enjoying a reasonable social life, because all of my composing was done between the hours of one and six a.m. Now I find it a little wearing, though at least the freelance writing lifestyle is as conducive as school was. Now I also browse websites about insomnia: we are a little community, us midnight toilers, though one that does not communicate with one another.

At a friend's wedding, the bride's stepmother incautiously informed me that I would live a shorter life because of this torment, a fact that was not exactly restful: now I get to lie awake at night pondering my unintentionally adumbrated life.

Does a blog shorten or lengthen one's tenure on the earth, I wonder?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please elaborate upon "the advent of falseness."

12:16 PM  
Blogger Daniel said...

To Anonymous:

I hope you did not puzzle too deeply--spell-check gone awry. Though I did sit here for a few minutes wondering what I could SAY it meant. But alas, no. The real thing I meant to say was "...advent of FELSENMUSICK."

Thanks, whoever you are!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home